Sunday, September 29, 2013

31DC2013 Day 28: Inspired by a Flag

As you learned from my Day 24: Inspired by a Book post, I am a map nerd. I believe it naturally follows that I also love flags. There were a number of viable options I kicked back and forth. Finally I decided on the Gadsden flag because I think it's so cool. According to Wikipedia, it's named after the general who designed it during the American Revolution. I recently read "1776", which gave me so much insight and renewed interest into the War's history. I just love the attitude that this flag represents.




And since we're on the subject, here's a little story for you. When I was little I had a hiding spot on top of our roof. It was like my little kingdom. I gave it a name and drew a flag for it. I seem to recall I even tried creating my own nation anthem. If I still had that drawing I would totally do that for today's prompt. 


I have the diamonds to represent the eastern diamondback rattlesnake. I used striping tape to create the shapes. I filled them in with polish and quickly removed the tape one at I time. I made sure to lay down the tape on each finger in the same order so that I would remember the sequence to remove them. They ended up bleeding when I applied Out The Door top coat (grr..). So on my thumb and ring finger I used big globs of Seche Vite and didn't have any problems with the images smudging.






What I used:
Sephora by OPI Yellow My Name is Betsey- yellow
Sephora by OPI I Come In Peas- green
Sephora by OPI Studs and Stilettos - brown
It's So Easy Stripe Rite in black


The other thing that I like about this flag? The motto is also a title of an awesome Metallica song! It's kinda been stuck in my head this entire time.

5 comments:

  1. The name of your yellow color is another tie-in to flag making. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! I can't believe I only just found your blog--this is one of the best I've come across :D I've been stalking your archives for like half an hour now. You have a new follower and I've added you to my blogroll over at Glittericity! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uou are dead on. This is the most fun and awesome blog I've found. If only I could make my nails so awesome...

      Delete
    2. You totally could, you just haven't tried it yet.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments!